Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Tooting my own horn

This morning I brought my kids to school, and then hurried home to get changed into my running clothes. I was all decked out like a modern day runner when the phone rang.

It was my sister who'd had a parent-teacher conference and had been told her daughter had some serious behavioral problems. So we talked for a while until she felt better and then said our goodbyes.

I looked at the clock: I had about two hours left, before I had to pick up the kids from school again at 11.45. So I ran out the door for my twelve kilometers run, hoping to catch a glimpse of God while I was at it.

Running helps me put things in perspective, to find me again, and yes sometimes I do meet little pieces of God. In the beautiful colours of the Fall leaves, or sometimes right inside of me. Running provides the quiet needed for God to let me hear his voice.

By eleven o'clock I got home again: three quarters of an hour left to prepare a hot meal and take a shower! So I threw some pots and pans on the stove, started baking the sausages, and while they were baking peeled the potatoes. I threw some red cabbage in another pot and then, when everything was cooking nicely, I ran upstairs for that quick shower.

At 11.40 I was dressed and ready to go get the kids again. They had their meal and then I took them back to school again at 12.45.

And while I did all this I couldn't help but think: this is mothering on a high level! So I'm tooting my own horn, because I managed to get in a twelve kilometers run and provided a nutrious meal for my children.

And did I mention it was raining?!

1 comments:

Hailey's Beats and Bits said...

wow! i have never tried running. i am amazed how you do that. having 3 kids and a home to manage exhaust me no end...i salute your strength!

 

Blogger Templates by Bloganol