Monday, December 15, 2008

Jesus versus Santa

To my dismay I have discovered that, to my youngest son Piet (5), Christmas seems to be more about Santa Clause than the birth of little Jesus! Admittedly, Santa ís all around: being jolly at the mall, in the shops and on tv. If I were Jesus I'ld be sure to fire my publicity people, because obviously they're not doing a very good job.

So I've started a campaign to instill in Piet the knowledge that Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Jesus and Santa has got nothing to do with it. My campaign is based on a careful mix of slandering Santa (he can't be healthy, he's way too fat) and telling the story of Jesus' birth.

I'm feeling quite positive because yesterday Piet asked me: 'Jesus will be born soon?'
I nodded excitedly.
'Will little Jesus join my class?' Piet asked hopefully.

So I think my campagains has been succesfull. But just in case, I have a plan B: If you can't beat them, join them:

2 comments:

Landen Gall said...

Here's my take:
http://www.iblogdoyou.com/2008/12/truth-about-santa.html

ModernMommy said...

I agree the whole Santa thing gets a little out of hand. But I mean, he is the one that brings the presents!
I hope I am succesful in making Jesus more important in my daughters' life than Santa. One thing I am considering is having Jesus give her some of her presents. My friend from Columbia says that when she was little "baby Jesus" left them presents in their bed while they were sleeping.
I think that is the cutest thing on earth.
Great picture by the way!

 

Blogger Templates by Bloganol