Sunday, September 13, 2009

Follow Me

I found this sweet little picture in our local thrift shop and I took it home with me.

Now it's hanging on our wall and I love to look at it. I know it's a childlike perspective on Jesus; indeed, it's how I used to picture Jesus myself. As this gentle man in long white robes, long flowing hair a beard and Birkenstocks.

Maybe that's what attracts me too it: the feeling of kindness and love it exudes.

Also, it makes me smile a little, because obviously the message is that all children are welcome, and Jesus loves them all. But at the same time the way they are depicted is very stereotypical. One might almost say a bit racist. But the intention was all good, I'm sure!

As a Dutch mom I just love the little Dutch girl in wooden shoes!

I did a little research on Tom Curr, and this is what I found:

Tom Curr was born in 1887, and died in 1958 at the age of 71. He was a member of Edinburgh Photographic Society and one of the three judges for the EPS Open Exhibition held in 1936. He also played a prominent role in the Boys' Brigade in Edinburgh.

In October 1938, he spoke to the EPS Portfolio Group. Tom gave his comments on and criticisms of the annual EPS Members' Exhibition in January 1947.

I couldn't find any more information, but good news: dr. Nancy Brewer is doing research on Tom Curr, so hopefully in future we'll know more about him.

3 comments:

AngelBaby said...

I love this picture too. The children are all so happy and so is Jesus. It just has so much love in it, just wonderful. Thanks for sharing this.

Have a wonderful day!

Love and Blessings,
AngelBabay

Kia - Petals Bath Boutique said...

Beautiful picture. Thanks for sharing.

Go Ask Katie said...

This is a lovely picture. Anything that makes you smile and feel closer to God is beautiful. Wishing you happiness. Katherine

 

Blogger Templates by Bloganol